Pumpkin Spice Loaf (3 Ways)

Saturday, September 28, 2013

Oh look, another recipe for pumpkin stuff. How original.
Whateva.
I unapologetically jump on the pumpkin train and ride it all the way to autumn town. Which, by the way, is delicious.


We have been enjoying this bread slathered in my slow cooker pumpkin butter for the past week or so. I also have ideas of using it for french toast, bread pudding, edible jewelry; whatever.

The batter made enough for three loaves so I decided to try three different mix-ins. One plain, one with chopped pecans, and one with mini chocolate chips (the mini is important friends). I don't know if I have a favorite. Each loaf is super moist and rich with fall flavor and every addition brings out another layer of awesomeness.


Pretty, food-styled pics? Please, ain't nobody got time for that.

This simple loaf recipe is sure to please. Much like my edible jewelry idea...on second thought, that's been done hasn't it? Remember those candy necklaces that would get all disgusting and sticky after a while and your mom would yell at you for dropping half eaten candy beads all over the house. Ahhh, memories.

Make it. You won't be disappointed - says everyone who shares recipes - but seriously. make it. If I'm wrong, you can send me a nasty email. But I'm not. So do it and share the autumnal happiness.



Carbs, why do I love thee so?


Because thou art awesome.



Pumpkin Spice Loaf
(3 Ways)
Prep 15-30 min
Bake 1 hour
Yield: 3 (8in x 4in x 2-1/2in) loaves
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home 

Ingredients
  • 1-1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 4 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1 can (15 oz) solid packed pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
  • 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1-1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (options: add 1/2 tsp more for added pumpkin spice punch or 1/2 tsp cinnamon if that's your flava)
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp ground cloves
  • 1/2 cup water
  • pecans or mini chocolate chips (optional)
Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl, combine sugars, oil and eggs. Add pumpkin and vanilla. Mix until thoroughly incorporated. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and ground cloves. Add flour mixture to the pumpkin mixture, alternating with water. Make sure to beat well after each addition.

2. {optional} Here I separated the batter into thirds. I left one as-is and poured it directly into a greased disposable, aluminum loaf pan {see note below}. To the second I added roughly 1/2 cup chopped pecans and the third roughly 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips, repeating the process as before. Before placing in the oven, sprinkle top of pecan loaf lightly with handful pecans, repeat for chocolate chip loaf. 



3. Bake at 350 for 1 hour or until nicely risen and toothpick inserted into the center of each loaf comes out clean. Cool completely on wire rack.

Baking Notes:
  • I used a whisk instead of a blender. It worked great but your arm might get a little tired.
  • I used three aluminum loaf pans from my local grocery store. They were approximately 8in x 4in x 2-1/2in. I let my loaves cool in the pans for one hour but decided to take them out and finish cooling on a wire rack for approximately 30-45 min. This wasn't intentional. I had originally planned on keeping them in the pans for storage/gifts. But then changed my mind. 
  • You can adjust the amount of mix-ins to your taste. I started w/ about 1/2 cup each then eye-balled it from there. 
  • I kept one out for us and froze the rest. Best idea ever. 



7 comments:

  1. YUM! I could eat a whole loaf like right now. And slow cooker pumpkin butter? Yes please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the different ideas to change the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is totally up my alley. Yummmmmmo. I love pumpkin bread. Now I think I need to try a loaf tonight. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, and one silly question - do I understand correctly that this recipe make 3 loaves?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooooh, good question. I'll go back and clarify that in the post...but yes, this recipe made 3 loaves (using the size pans I described above).

      Delete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground