Slow Cooker Pumpkin Butter

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

It was 95 degrees here in Texas today. I'm currently sitting on the couch with the A/C going full-blast and a small fan aimed right at my face. Fall is never coming so, like any rational person, I decided to turn on my oven. I say bake for the weather you want, right? Kinda like a Native American rain dance?? However loosely woven this logic, I'm desperate so I rolled up my sleeves and got to work. 

Since I was such a baking/creating maniac today, I actually have two amazing new pumpkin recipes for you but I'm gonna space them out a bit. Why? Because I'm mean. Or lazy. Whatever you choose to believe. 




Today's recipe was the one I was least excited about. To be honest, I didn't really expect much. I never really liked pumpkin butter. It always seemed weird. Too ambiguously textured. I mean, what is it? And why is it called "butter" if there's no butter in it? Seems like an identity crisis if you ask me. And, much like my feelings for ambrosia (or whatever fancy-name you give that strange, fluffy green or pink stuff,) I avoided it like the plague. 

Until today. 




Friends, this stuff is so delicious I could eat it out of the jar. Unashamedly. Joyfully. to. the. last. drop. 
It's gooooooood. And what's even better - soooo easy. Much like over-typing vowels when you're really excited.

But seriously, throw this stuff in a crock-pot (with a liner no less!!!) and walk away for about 5 hours while your house fills with the most amazing aroma ever. Scentsy who?
Come on. It can't get any better, right? Well, maybe if Bill Watterson re-instated Calvin & Hobbes. That would cause a nerd seizure. I can't even...




Ok, so here's the recipe. Notice if you will what this non-techie managed to sort-of get together for you. A fancy printable version. No big deal. 
Actually, I have no idea if it's printable or how you even do that. But it looks pretty so we're calling it a win.



Baking notes:
  • You'll know it's ready when you can turn a spoon upside down and the pumpkin butter will stay on the spoon - much like a blizzard. (Shout out Dairy Queen!!)
  • My method for filling the jars is somewhat unconventional, but it worked. I lifted the cooled pumpkin butter IN the liner from the slow-cooker, poked a hole in the bottom, and piped it into the jars. No mess, no fuss. But I'm sure there are other - better - ways of filling the jars. 
  • I'm not sure how long this will last in the fridge. I came up with this recipe via a whole lot of guessing but I'd estimate 1-2 weeks at most. Don't worry, it won't last that long anyway. I'm gonna put some on my pancakes at dinner tonight and if you make it, you will find all sorts of things to slather it on too.
  • I think next time I'd reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. But that's just me. D said it was perfect. 

Anyone want to help this chick iron out her techie issues? Or just fix everything for me? For free?

Who else is going pumpkin crazy? And how about crock-pot liners?!! 



7 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious. I'm not sure what I'd eat it on. Besides everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I didn't include that did I? Thanks for letting me know!! I just fixed that in the post.
      Btw - It's a 15oz can. Thanks again! :)

      Delete
  3. ooh i need to try this- love me some esy slow cooker recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. THIS IS AWESOME. I"m seriously making this this week - I actualy have the ingredients on hand and it sounds like it smells wonderful.

    I hope fall visits you soon.

    Thanks for linking up to Pumpkin Parade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yahoo...let me know how it turns out for you! Thanks for (co)hosting the PP! It was so fun!!

      Delete
  5. Popping by to let you know I'm featuring your post today on NewlyWoodwards!

    ReplyDelete

Write away. I love hearing from you.

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground